Third party sites and services
Third party sites, including our advertisers, promotional partners, property owners or managers, and other service providers accessible through our Sites, or third-party sites and services on which we advertise, may have their own privacy and data collection policies and practices. For example, during your visit to our Sites you may link to, or view content that is created or hosted by a third party. MVL is not responsible for the actions or policies of such third parties and is not liable to you for any claims that may arise from your interaction with those third parties or their sites. You should check the applicable privacy policies of those third parties when providing personal information on a feature or page operated by a third party.
Ownership of Information
INFORMATION COLLECTED ON OUR SITES
Information you voluntarily provide
In order to access or use certain services and capabilities on our Sites, you may be required to voluntarily submit Personal Information. The use of these services or capabilities is purely optional, so you are not required to submit any Personal Information through our Sites if you do not wish to use them. Some of these capabilities include requesting information on a particular rental property or vacation destination, providing details regarding a property you own or manage (for potential listing on our Sites), or Information you provide when you otherwise contact us through our Sites. You may provide this information directly to our Sites, or to third parties who share the information with us. Voluntary Personal Information you provide may include:
- Identity and contact data, such as your name, email address, physical address, phone number, username, and other Personal Information you may provide on registration and when you list rental properties with our Sites or when you rent properties through our Sites.
- Transaction data, including Information we collect in connection with a rental or listing transaction on our Sites, such as the home you rented, price, location, zip code, dates of your stay, requests you may make in connection with a transaction, information about properties you own or manage and which you want to list on our Sites, and other similar data.
- Financial data, including Information relating to financial accounts or services, e.g. a credit or debit card number, other financial account number, and relevant details you provide in connection with a financial transaction (such as when you list a property for rental on our Sites, or when you rent a property through our Sites).
- Promotional data, such as information you may provide when you enter a sweepstakes, contest, or other promotion through our Sites.
- Feedback or other information you provide when you contact us through the Sites.
- Information relating to your preferences and interests, such as your “likes” or “favorites.”
Information collected automatically
When you use our Sites, some types of Information will be automatically collected, even if you don’t participate in a transaction. This may include:
- Information relating to your computer, device, browser, or application, such as your IP address, the hardware, software or internet browser you use, your computer’s operating system, which versions of certain applications you were using, and other data generated through applications and browsers, including cookies and similar technologies.
- The date/time you accessed our Sites, the referring site, pages you visited and content you viewed when you were on our Sites, other session navigation history, and similar browsing metadata.
- If you access our Sites on a mobile device, we may collect data identifying your device, including location details (if you have location enabled on your device).
Information we receive from third party sources
We may receive Personal Information from third party sites (including our affiliated companies and unrelated sites) on which you book your reservations or make inquiries, and from sites on which we advertise properties. These third parties may share your name, contact details, properties, dates and other details regarding your booked or potential transactions, or other Information with us. Some Information you provide to the third parties may be retained by them for their own business purposes, and may not be shared with us.
USE OF INFORMATION COLLECTED ON THE SITES
MVL or our affiliated companies may use and process Information collected on our Sites for the following purposes:
- If you book a vacation rental through our Sites, we use your contact information, payment information, transaction details, and other Information you provide in connection with a rental to facilitate a transaction between our users and property owners or managers, including processing payments, emails or phone calls relating to a transaction, and providing related services as needed.
- If you register on our Sites, we use your contact information, details regarding your properties, and other Information to create user accounts, list your properties on our Sites, and to manage your listings, calendars, payment information, and other details related to your properties2955
- We use your contact details and other Information you provide in various communications with you, such as when responding to your inquiries, reminding you to complete a transaction you may have started, reminders about your property listings, and customer service related messages.
- If you enter a promotion on our Sites, such as a sweepstakes, we will contact you in connection with that promotion and may send you additional information as described in the rules of that promotion. Some promotions and offers are operated/controlled by us, and others are operated/controlled by our third party partners. If you win a promotion, your acceptance of a prize may allow us to make certain Personal Information public, e.g. posting your name on a winner’s page. See the applicable program’s terms for details.
- We use email addresses collected on our Sites for any of the above purposes to periodically send you emails regarding vacation destinations, rental properties, or other offers, products or services we believe may be of interest to you. Note, you may be enrolled in our email communications with your consent or, where allowed, in connection with account registration, participation in a promotion, or a purchase.
- We may use Information regarding your preferences, contact information, transactions, and your use of our Sites to personalize our Sites (for example, to show you properties or locations we believe would be of interest to you), for troubleshooting, to improve the functionality and quality of our Sites, and to optimize our Sites to make them more useful to our visitors. This information also allows us to better tailor our content to your needs and to help our affiliated companies, advertisers and property owners to better understand our audience.
- Information obtained from cookies and similar technologies may be combined with Personal Information and Other Information in order to create a profile about you. This allows our advertisers to advertise more effectively, and allows our users to receive advertisements that are pertinent to their needs. We may also use Other Information sent to us by your web browser or by cookies to perform statistical analyses of our server logs in order to study the use of various areas of our Sites. We review IP addresses to analyze where we are getting our audience. We may create aggregate reports on our users’ traffic patterns and other user data for current or future affiliated companies, advertisers, sponsors and partners.
SHARING OF INFORMATION
We may share Information collected through our Sites with various third parties as follows:
- In order to facilitate your transaction, streamline our business operations, improve our services, and develop products and services that better meet your interests and needs, we may share all of your Information with our current or future affiliated entities, subsidiaries, and parent companies.
- If you inquire or book a rental with us or our affiliated companies, we may share your contact information, and other transaction details with owners or managers of rental properties about which you have inquired or booked on our Sites, or with service providers who process payments and transactions for us.
- If you make a payment for a rental or subscription on our Sites, or if we need to pay you in connection with a rental of your property, we may share payment related information and contact data or transaction details with payment providers and relevant financial institutions as needed to process your payment or in connection with a chargeback or for fraud detection and prevention purposes, and we may also share limited payment information (such as confirmation of a payment being processed, or sending a check for payment) with the property owner/manager or our affiliated entities.
- We share relevant Information with companies and organizations that perform services on our behalf (as applicable depending on the services they provide). For example, Information may be accessed by or shared with companies that provide support services to us (such data storage, web hosting, email services, marketing services and other services).
- We may share your Personal Information for various marketing and advertising activities. For example, we may share Personal Information with business or marketing partners in connection with promotions, events, products, and services that are promoted, managed, supported, or otherwise undertaken with that third party. If appropriate, these parties may engage in direct marketing or behavioral advertising. We may allow our affiliates and other third parties (such as Facebook, ad exchanges, data management platforms, or ad servers) to operate on our Sites and process data for behavioral advertising (see additional information on Behavior Advertising below). We may also share Information (sometimes including email addresses, often in hashed format) with advertising partners, as part of the marketing of our properties and services on third party sites. You can read additional information about advertising and your rights and choices under “Cookies, Tracking Technologies and Advertising” and “Your Rights and Choices” below.
- If you use any social media plugin, API, or other similar feature, use a hashtag or similar link, or otherwise interact with us or our Sites via social media, we may make your post available on our Sites or to the general public. We may share or redisplay Personal Information or other information in the post to the extent permitted by the relevant social media service.
- If we determine in good faith, that disclosure is appropriate to comply with the law (or respond to any legal process such as a court order or subpoena, government requests in the U.S. or other countries, or a request related to national security in accordance with applicable laws) we will share Information to the extent we believe necessary.
- In the event of a natural disaster or other circumstances, we will share information as needed to protect the vital interests of guests, property managers, business partners, our employees, and others.
COOKIES, TRACKING TECHNOLOGIES AND ADVERTISING
Cookies and Tracking Technologies. We utilize “cookies”, “tags”, “pixels”, “clear gifs” and other similar tracking technologies on our Sites. A cookie is a text file that is placed on your computer or other mobile device when you access the Sites or the Internet. These technologies allow us or our third party partners or service providers to collect Information about your interaction with our Sites and advertisements. Examples of such Information may include, but are not limited to: demographic Information, browser type, IP address, pages viewed, activity conducted, and timing of your visit. You may at any time opt out of certain tracking mechanisms through your browser settings. However, disabling such features may prevent you from using certain features or taking full advantage of all of our offerings on our Site.
Different types of cookies are used for different purposes on our Sites. These are known as: strictly necessary cookies, performance cookies, and functionality cookies. Some cookies may be provided by an external third party to provide additional functionality to our Sites and these are included below.
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are essential to fulfil an action requested by you, such as identifying you as being logged in. If you prevent these cookies by adjusting your browser settings we cannot guarantee how our Sites will perform during your visit.
- Performance cookies. These are cookies used to improve our Sites, for example for analytics that let us see how a Site is being used and where to make improvements. These cookies are used to collect Information about how visitors use our Sites. The Information is collected in an anonymous form and includes the number of visitors, where visitors have come from to the Sites and the pages they visited.
- Functionality cookies. These cookies enhance the performance and functionality of our Sites, often as a result of something you’re doing as a user. For instance, we may personalize our content for you or remember your preferences (such as your favorite locations or properties).
Do Not Track Requests. We will automatically collect cookies and other information when you visit our Sites. Due to this automatic collection, we do not currently honor browser based “do not track” requests. We currently participate in third party ad networks and use third party cookies as discussed above to track your visits across websites. For information on how to opt-out of the collection of Information by other tracking devices please see Your Rights and Choices below.
Disabling Cookies on Your Browser. You may refuse or delete cookies on our Sites. Please refer to your browser Help instructions to learn more about cookies and other tracking devices and how to manage their use. If you choose to refuse or delete cookies, some of the functionality of our Sites may be impaired. If you use another computer or change browsers you will need to repeat the process of refusing or deleting cookies. For more information about cookies including how to set your internet browser to reject cookies please go to www.allaboutcookies.org.
Behavioral Advertising. We, and certain third parties operating on or through our Sites, may engage in online behavioral advertising. This form of advertising includes various parties and service providers, including third party data controllers, engaged in the processing of Personal Data in connection with advertising: This form of advertising may use information regarding your identity, preferences, devices, and sometimes your email address or other contact data in order to deliver more relevant advertising to you. The parties that control the processing of Personal Information for behavioral advertising purposes may build a profile of you containing this information, and may be able to identify you across sites, devices, and over time. These services may also track whether you view, interact with, or how often you have seen an ad, or whether you complete a purchase for a good or services after viewing an advertisement. In some cases, these parties may also develop and assess aspects of a profile about you to determine whether you are a type of person a company wants to advertise to, and determine whether and how ads you see are effective, and may augment your profile with information derived from these observations. See Your Rights and Choices for information about how you can limit or opt out of this processing.
YOUR RIGHTS AND CHOICES
It is possible for you to use some of our Digital Services without providing any Personal Information, but you may not be able to access certain features or content. You have the following choices regarding the Personal Information we process:
Direct Marketing. You have the choice to opt-out of our marketing communications at any time by clicking on the unsubscribe link in emails generated by our third party email provider. If an individual sales representative sends an email specifically to you, there is no unsubscribe link in that email, however you may notify us by forwarding the email to email@example.com and notifying us that you do not wish to be contacted again.
Other Consent. If you have provided consent to any specific processing of your Personal Information, you may withdraw consent any time, to the extent required by law.
Other Processing. You may have the right under applicable law to object to our processing of your Personal Information for certain purposes. You may do so by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org re: data rights requests. Note that we may not be required to cease processing based solely on an objection.
Residents of the EU have certain additional rights in their Personal Information under EU law. Please see Additional Information for EU Residents below.
Residents of California (and others as required by applicable law) may request a list of Personal Information we have disclosed about you to third parties for direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year. This request must be written, signed, and mailed to us at 2955 Village Drive #20A, Steamboat Springs, CO 80487
If you are located outside of the United States, you understand that by using any of our Sites, you are providing Information to MVL and its affiliated companies and processors in the United States, and you are voluntarily transferring your Information to the United States in connection with a contract you are entering in relation to a property, or otherwise based on your consent. This transfer of certain Personal Information to the United States is necessary in order to fulfill a contract for booking with MVL or our affiliated companies. For more information about how we transfer Personal Information in accordance with specific EU data privacy legislation please the Additional Information for EU Residents section below.
SECURITY AND DATA RETENTION
We follow and implement reasonable security measures to safeguard the Personal Information you provide us. However, we sometimes share Personal Information with third parties as noted above, and we do not have control over third parties’ security processes. Please note, we do not warrant perfect security and we do not provide any guarantee that your Personal Information or any other information you provide us will remain secure.
We retain information for so long as it, in our discretion, remains relevant to its purpose, and in any event, for so long as is required by law. We will review retention periods periodically.
MODIFYING OR DELETING YOUR INFORMATION
We respect your right to make choices about the ways we collect, use, process and disclose your Personal Information. You may update or delete your information or change your preferences at any time by sending an email to email@example.com
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR EU RESIDENTS
Legal Basis for Processing
All processing (i.e., use) of your Personal Information is based on one of a number of legal conditions. Generally, these will be:
- Your consent (for example, to place cookies which process Personal Information, or for marketing from our third-party partners);
- The performance of our contract with you (e.g., to process your rental transaction, or to list your property on our Sites, to share your Information with third party property owners/managers, or payment processors);
- Compliance with a legal obligation (e.g., where we are required to disclose information to a court or a tax authority); and
- Our legitimate interests, provided these do not override your fundamental rights and freedoms (e.g., where we carry out our own direct marketing to guests or property owners who have provided information to us, subject to your right to opt-out of this at any time).
Rights of EU Residents
Subject to applicable law, as a resident of the EU, you may have some or all of the following rights in respect of your Personal Information:
- To obtain a copy of your Personal Information together with information about how and on what basis that Personal Information is processed;
- To rectify inaccurate Personal Information (including the right to have incomplete Personal Information completed);
- To erase your Personal Information (in limited circumstances, where it is no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which it was collected or processed);
- To restrict processing of your Personal Information where:
- The accuracy of the Personal Information is contested;
- The processing is unlawful but you object to the erasure of the Personal Information;
- We no longer require the Personal Information but it is still required for the establishment, exercise or defense of a legal claim;
- To challenge processing which we have justified based on a legitimate interest (as opposed to your consent, or to perform a contract with you);
- To prevent us from sending you direct marketing;
- To withdraw your consent to our processing of your Personal Information (where that processing is based on your consent);
- To object to decisions which are based solely on automated processing or profiling; and
- To obtain, or see a copy of the appropriate safeguards under which your Personal Information is transferred to a third country or international organization.
In addition to the above, you have the right to lodge a complaint with your local supervisory authority (for example, the ICO in the United Kingdom).
In relation to these rights, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we may request proof of identity, and we reserve the right to charge a fee where permitted by law, for instance if your request is manifestly unfounded or excessive. We will use reasonable efforts to respond to your requests within applicable timeframes.
International Transfers for EU Residents
You should be aware that we are a U.S. headquartered company, and your Personal Information will routinely be transferred to and stored in the United States for processing. Although MVL does not itself transfer Personal Information from the European Economic Area (“EEA“) to the U.S, if we receive Personal Information from third parties in the EEA, we will comply with the GDPR or other applicable legal requirements with regard to the transfer and processing of that data, to the extent those laws govern the transfers.